How Sweet It Is...
I've had this pattern on my radar for a long time, and spurred on by Sew Colette 2.0, it is now a reality! Yes, it is the Colette Macaron, at long last.
Let's talk fabric. I was really drawn to the blue and white combo, so I used my last piece of Yardage Sale fabric for the body (don't be fooled, I think it's pretty heavy on the polyester), including midriff, and a bit of swiss dot cotton that I've had left over for years.
|See, there they are, dots galore.|
The pattern itself went together well, I cut a size 8 all over and squeezed an extra inch out of the midriff pieces for a little more room over my waist, letting out the tucks about 1/8" each. I didn't shorten the bodice, which I usually do, and the front is fine, but the back is a tiny bit long. I also could have taken in the back width about 3/4" across the mid-back, especially since the seaming makes the dress stand away from the body a bit there.
And yes, the sleeves are cute, but they may not make it into any future Macarons. I'd like to make a wool jersey version, and let the pleats be free from the midriff instead of stitched down. The pockets are nice, but I find I don't really use them, so they may go as well!
|Excuse the fuzzy foot.|
All in all, a pleasant sewing experience, but perhaps not as wardrobe enriching as I would have liked. Ah well, nothing ventured, nothing gained!