Hello again internets! Here's a quick little project I finished up last week. It's a sweater, but of an entirely different kind than my last post.
Yes, it's a simple raglan sweater, made up of some really great knit I picked up at this year's Textile Museum sale. And I consider it a stash bust, since a trip to the sale is basically a stash build up exercise. You just have to get in there and pick things quickly, hoping that inspiration strikes later - this is pretty much the opposite of my usual fabric aquisition method. But, I digress. Here's another photo.
I used a pattern from a friend's stash, Simplicity 8618, printed in 1978. I loved the raglan sleeves, but not the V-neck, so I swapped it out for a simple round neck instead. I added a contrasting band to the sleeve cuffs using the wrong side of the fabric, and left off the bottom band, since I didn't want to go full on sweatshirt with this project. It's almost entirely serger-sewn, with the exception of the hem. I used the trusty twin needle - I find the coverstitch on my serger more trouble than it's worth most of the time.
|The back is pretty much just like the front - told you it was simple!|
|Cuff close up. And a shot of my totally unintentional stripe matching at the raglan seam.|
This fabric is so warm and cozy, perfect now that we are fully into fall. But it sheds like crazy - I looked like I'd been rolling around with a few cats by the time it was finished! I just hope the shedding slows down over time.
I've made myself a little list of fall/winter sewing plans, but I'm not sure I'll post it - this way only I will know how productive (or not!) I've been! And every post will be a surprise.
Til next time...