Sewn: Butterick 6178, New Look 6459

Sewing Dare complete! Thanks to the amazing Gillian over at Crafting a Rainbow, I have branched out and made culottes, undoubtably the pant silhouette of 2016. Here's the dare:  "I”m going to dare you to sew up a trouser style that is a little new and different! Maybe culottes, maybe fashion jogging pants, maybe flares, loose rayon trousers?" 

Well Gillian, here they are! These are Butterick 6178, a basic culotte pattern with either voluminous pleats or a more simple shape (my choice, View D).



Many of the patterns that I am drawn to are very easy fitting, with elastic waistbands (or no discernible waist at all - overalls, anyone?). So, when it came time to cut something with an actual fitted waist, I made a muslin. My waist and hip put me in a size 18, so I went ahead and cut them out, with my only alteration to lengthen the crotch depth by 1/2". Much to my surprise, the muslin fit very well, so I cut into my good fabric.



I'm not sure what to call this colour - acid gold? I was looking for more of a mustard yellow, but didn't have much luck. So, since this was a dare, I just went for a bold colour in fabric that took my fancy. It's a crisp cotton sateen, that I pre-washed & hung to dry. It was nice and smooth before I washed it, and now it's full of tiny wrinkles that won't press out. Bummer.

A couple of things bug me now that these are together about the fit - I could definitely shorten the front rise at the waistband by 3/8", as they have a wrinkle there. And I wasn't sure about the darts, I thought they could all be a bit shorter. But I wore them all day today, and I think the darts are fine. But one thing I did notice after wearing, is that I'd like to transfer about 1/2" from the front side seam to the back. I just feel that the side seam is not quite at my side!


Not entirely sure what has my attention down there...

The pattern called for a regular zipper, but I just could not find one in the right colour, and went for a beige invisible zip instead. Honestly, I much prefer invisible zips, so no problems there.



Of course, after I had made these beauties up, I couldn't find any tops to wear with them! Most of my boxy tops are just a bit too long, hitting me at a tough spot in these voluminous pants. So, what's a girl to do? Make a top to go with, naturally!

The top I decided on is New Look 6459, modelled on the cover with the coordinating cropped pant - perfect. For this one, I did not make a muslin, instead jumping right into the size 16. I did check the finished measurements, but ended up recutting the front (after the facings were on and everything), and cutting a new one with a full bust adjustment. I wish I had a "before" photo for you, because it was pretty disheartening. gaping armholes, tight across the front (and the back a bit, too). Sadness! I knew it would never be worn, and I had enough fabric for a new front. I've resolved to embrace pattern adjustments in the future.



The fabric for the top is a heavy weight white blend,with a pique effect on one side and a slight stripe on the other, with a bit of stretch. I cut my pattern on the cross grain (no doubt not helping the tightness across the back) so that my stripes would run horizontally. I really like the crisp fabric for this pattern, and can picture it looking great in a barkcloth. If one crosses my path...

I love this armhole shape!

So, there we have it, sewing dare complete, bonus garment to boot!

Thanks Gillian for pushing us all to try new things, and for the incredible job you do machine the dared to the dare! I'm calling this a success.

Has anyone else taken on a sewing dare?

**big shout out to NB for taking these pics! Thanks!

Comments

  1. What a cute outfit! Its something new for you, but also looks just right on you. The combo is so crisp and fresh! Hope the summer weather holds for long enough you can wear it plenty of times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lady! I felt pretty cool in my breezy new pants yesterday - and I have plans for more culottes!! It's definitely still summer, these will be worn again for sure.

      Delete
  2. Nice top and culotte combination! I like the look of the sleeveless top with unusual shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, the top feels really modern & was so easy to make - well, especially with my practice round :)

      Delete
  3. I have never done a sewing dare, but if I had, I would want mine to turn out as well as yours. I love the culottes on you! The color is gorgeous, and the top you chose to sew with it is also great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to get out of my planned out months in advance sewing list and just go for it! I'm really happy with how things turned out, thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts