Sewn: Paper Theory Zadie Jumpsuit

Hello again! Yes, it's been a while. But I'm still sewing, and I'd like to share what I've been up to. Over the past three months I've had more time to sew, as work has really dried up for the moment, and sewing has been really helpful to give a bit of structure to my weeks! The silver lining to COVID-19, I suppose.

Sewn shown seated - too bad my eyes are closed!
Sewn shown seated - too bad my eyes are closed!

This pattern needs very little introduction, it is of course the Zadie Jumpsuit from Paper Theory Patterns. This is my second version of this pattern, and I really love the style. I wanted to make sure the second time out was even more wearable than the first, and the result is pretty great, if I do say so myself. 

This is a size 14 with minor alterations - my current measurements would have me in a 16 bust, 18 waist and 14 hip, so this is a testament to the wearing ease of the pattern. 

I made two pattern alterations. The first was to re-shape the front neckline for more coverage by simply re-drawing the neckline 1" wider at the bust, tapering to nothing at the shoulder and underbust. I decided against a full bust adjustment as I didn't see or feel any pulling from the apex towards the side seam, but I did want by bra covered without the aid of a snap. For reference, my cup size is somewhere in the DD+ range, and  most of my bras are quite high at the bridge. The second was to shorten the rise by basically moving the crotch shape up 1". I love wearing this when it's humid, and I hate the sensation of sweaty thighs sticking together! Beth from SunnyGal Studio made the same alterations, and her blog post has some easy to follow illustrations. 

I decided to use a facing to finish the front opening, just to see if I preferred it over the binding used in the pattern. I had to piece the facing as it is such a dramatic S shape, but I'm happy with the result. I like how the binding looks, but I appreciate the stability the facing provides. Even though I stay stitched the front opening before handling the pieces, they did stretch a bit, and using the facing as a guide to steam them back into the correct length was helpful. And I found it gave a neater finish where the waist ties are attached. Speaking of ties, I cut a strip the entire length of my fabric, so they are about 6" longer than drafted. 

Wrinkles after a day of wear - a true sign of approval!

I've been trying (and succeeding!) at sewing largely from my stash recently, but this beautiful emerald green linen was purchased specifically for this pattern. I thought I was looking for a patterned fabric, but  I was very inspired by Sewing Escapades recent version. If you're interested in pattern alterations, her page is well worth a visit! 

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope to have another post up sooner rather than later.


  1. I love your jumpsuit! I think the color is spot on, and you look nice in it.

    1. Thanks Vanessa! I've even worn it on a work from home day, when I'm normally in shorts and a t-shirt, so it's a winner for sure!


Post a Comment

Popular Posts