April Stashbusting: At the Beach!

In my first "grown-up" apartment, my bedroom was decorated with an Indian theme - marigold walls, a princely marionette, and saffron fabric swagged over my bed. It was great while it lasted, but eventually I moved, gave the marionette away, and folded up the 5-6 yards of quite lovely cotton voile and put it in a bin. I thought I might use it as mock-up fabric, but then April's Stashbusting theme "bright colours" came along.

It hangs so nicely!
This is Vogue 1247, by Rachel Comey. It's been pretty popular, and I had been meaning to make it up for some time. I even had a matching thread at the ready, so this is a 100% stash bust.

I was a bit nervous, after my experience with V1170 , which was very large, as well as very weird. I'm still trying to find a way to salvage that one, it may have a post of it's own yet!  So this is really a wearable mock-up/beach top - it's not long enough to be a cover-up, but the neckline is far too sassy for my everyday life.

I cut one size down from the recommended size, which still left plenty of ease. Putting it together was fairly straightforward, it just required a bit of patience with the bias cut and french seams. If I make this top again (which I may, I love the silhouette), I will raise the neckline, but that's the only thing I would change. 

As I mentioned, it has a home in my beach wardrobe - here's a shot from my recent mini-break in Mexico! This was in March, when the sun and sand were a very welcome change from the sleet and snow of home. 

It was so warm!


Well, that was short and sweet! And my next post will branch out from Stashbusting, promise!


Comments

Popular Posts