I was zipping along, and ready to attach the waistband, when I tried these babies on, and had the oh no moment. The rise was far too high, and I like a high rise! But these just looked weird, especially with the more relaxed leg I was trying out. So, out came the nicely installed fly, off came the back yokes (already serged and topsitched, oh yes), and then came the procrastination. I'm a one project at a time kind of sewer, pretty much, so they just sat there waiting for a couple of weeks, abandoned at the machine, holding other potential sewing hostage.
But they are done now, here are the photos to prove it:
|I'm only tucking my shirt in for blogging purposes.|
|Probably more like this in real life.|
|Yes, there they are. And not too many leg wrinkles!|
|The back - looks pretty normal.|
Rise - lowered to a mid-rise.
Fly - used the Grainline Maritime shorts method, since it was fresh in my mind. Worked out fine, both times!
Topstitching - I chose a very light grey topstitching thread from the Guterman brand. They have quite a few colours to choose from. I could have gotten away with one spool, but for the unpicking.
Leg - not my usual skinny. I took off about 1" from the back inseam and outseam from the original block. They are comfortable, but I prefer the skinny jean, so any future pairs will probably be narrower again.
Pockets - it is very tricky to position back pockets on ones' self. But I think they are pretty good, if a bit closer to the yokes than I had planned. And the front pocket bags continue to the the centre front and are enclosed by the fly shield and facing. I love this method, and will definitely handle front pockets this way in future.
|Metal zipper and button.|
|Fun pocket stitching!|
This wraps up my summer of sewing, but I have some great projects lined up for fall that I'm really excited about. Now it's just a question of finding the time...
Until next time!