Happy New Year - with PJs!
Hello 2014! I've been meaning to be a bit more active on the blogging front, so what better way to start the new year than with a new post? And for the record, these were 99.9% finished until this morning. All I had left to do was add a couple of inches to the waistband elastic to make them more comfy, and therefor actually wearable.
|Current temperature: -11C, windchill -18C. I blame any awkward posing on the weather.|
I did have a pajama pattern in my stash (M5592. Unblogged, sorry. They have very odd proportions), but I decided to spring for McCalls M6659. It's a great pattern, with loads of options. It includes a robe, two distinct styles of tops and pants, and decent instructions for inserting cuff piping. It's a keeper.
Now for the saga of the fabric. I bought what I had thought was a twin sheet set, swept away by the fun eyeglass print, but when I finally got around to opening the package fully, I discovered that there was only a fitted sheet and pillowcase!!! If I'd planned to use them as sheets, they would have been sent right back to the store, but I decided to see how far I could make this one sheet stretch.
I unpicked the sheet, elastic and all, to preserve as much fabric as possible (two episodes of Downton Abbey). Then I decided to save space by not making the separate piped cuff for the pants, so I simply pinned the cuff pattern piece to the hem of the pant piece, overlapping to eliminate the seam allowances. When it came to the shirt sleeves, I didn't have enough length anywhere to use the same trick, which is why the sleeves have the piped cuff. Design features on the fly! Of course, that was before I realized how long this pattern is - I'm 5'7, and the sleeves and pant legs are both on the long side. The sleeves could almost be finished at the piping line!
Other than my fabric saving, I made the straight size 16, one size up than usual, because I prefer roomy pjs. And I left out the darts in the back of the shirt - again, roomy, and also better with this big print.
|Pink accents! I used pink thread for the buttonholes, too, you can see it if you look very closely...|
|The piping is from my stash, I don't quite remember what it was to be for originally, but it came in handy here.|
I hope everyone is having a relaxing New Years Day, perhaps even in their own pajamas!
Eeeeeep! So cute! Those are going to be fun to pull on each and every time you wear them. Well done!ReplyDelete
Thanks Gillian - I just saw those sheets and never looked back! Happy 2014!Delete
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete
Such a fun project! I'm pretty impressed by how you managed to turn a bad situation into the coolest PJ. I'm even more impressed that you posed outside in this weather!ReplyDelete
Well, thank you! I was determined to make something work with what I had, even if it was just pj pants. And I have very little choice, the light in my very full apartment is just terrible. Lookout for more wintry photos! Happy New Year!Delete
Oh, so fun! And look, it's finally cold enough for you to wear that awesome owl sweater you made! Happy 2014 Chloe!ReplyDelete
Happy 2014 Jagoda, I'm sure we'll bump into each other again - maybe with the owl sweater...Delete
I love your jammies! They look super cute and comfy.The pink accents really compliment the fabric. A great start to your sewing year.ReplyDelete
Thanks Mela - they are in steady pj rotation! And the pink makes me happy. Now, to keep up some sewing momentum...Delete