Knit: Fair Isle Band Sweater

Well hello 2016! I'm a bit out of practice on the blogging front, so here we go.

This is the Fair Isle Band Sweater with Short Sleeves (a bit of a mouthful!) from Anna Wilkinson's Learn to Knit, Love to Knit. It was the only pattern that really grabbed me from the book, but it was love at first sight.


This was my first try at colour work, and I think it was ok. I'm pleased with how it turned out, but my technique could use some work. It was basically a wing and a prayer. If I ever want to use more than two colours, I'll need to get some professional advice!

Speaking of colour, I love the names for this yarn - it's Classic Elite Fresco, in Onyx and Root Beer! I picked it up at with my Christmas money last Boxing Day. It was lovely to knit, but the fuzzy pills are a bit of a worry. I'm nervous to shave them off, but it may come to that sooner rather than later.

Hmm, a but blurry! But also a bit fuzzy. It's a theme! Also, here's a hint of what my hair looked like in the 90's. Definitely time for a trim.

I love this top, and I have already worn it at least half a dozen times since finishing it off in December. It's been a mild winter so far, so the short sleeved sweater has been perfect. One thing I've noticed while wearing, though. The whole thing slides back quite a bit, so a forward shoulder adjustment would have been nice. Something to look out for in future projects. Also, this is the largest size, bust 41" and I hover around 38". I added 6 stitches to the front only, to give myself a bit more room, and I am glad I did. Even when my gauge is spot on, I'm finding it tough to get a grip on ease in knitting.


Pattern on the back, too. One of the best parts of making your own clothes, if you ask me.



And check out my first neckband picking up stitches! I was a bit worried that it wouldn't turn out well, but I used this tutorial to figure it out.

I think I'll keep it short and sweet - thanks for stopping by, and if you have any knitting sizing/shape advice, please pass it along!





Comments

  1. That is a great sweater! I think you did great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa - I love wearing it, too!

      Delete
  2. I really like the motif? fair isle? (totally new to these knitting terms) in the higher-contrast yarn you chose. It looks regal! Was your neckband method what you were describing to me when we met up? It all looks wonderful to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That was the neckband mystery. It was a bit of a leap of faith, I was so happy when it worked out! And regal, I'll take it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts