How Sweet It Is...

I've had this pattern on my radar for a long time, and spurred on by Sew Colette 2.0, it is now a reality! Yes, it is the Colette Macaron, at long last.


Overall, I'm pleased with the dress, but I'm just not sure I'll be getting much wear out of it. There's something just a little bit too sugary about it for my taste. I feel like I'm off to grandmother's house for cookies, or perhaps even down the rabbit hole!

Let's talk fabric. I was really drawn to the blue and white combo, so I used my last piece of Yardage Sale fabric for the body (don't be fooled, I think it's pretty heavy on the polyester), including midriff, and a bit of swiss dot cotton that I've had left over for years.

See, there they are, dots galore.
The dress is fully lined with white batiste, so I skipped the neck facing and did a lovely job understitching the lining at the neck edge and sleeve hems. I was able to sneak in and machine the lower midriff fabrics together and press them up, leaving only the skirt pieces to be finished with the serger. 

The pattern itself went together well, I cut a size 8 all over and squeezed an extra inch out of the midriff pieces for a little more room over my waist, letting out the tucks about 1/8" each. I didn't shorten the bodice, which I usually do, and the front is fine, but the back is a tiny bit long. I also could have taken in the back width about 3/4" across the mid-back, especially since the seaming makes the dress stand away from the body a bit there.



And yes, the sleeves are cute, but they may not make it into any future Macarons. I'd like to make a wool jersey version, and let the pleats be free from the midriff instead of stitched down. The pockets are  nice, but I find I don't really use them, so they may go as well!

Excuse the fuzzy foot.

All in all, a pleasant sewing experience, but perhaps not as wardrobe enriching as I would have liked. Ah well, nothing ventured, nothing gained!





Comments

  1. I can't tell you how jealous I am of that swiss dot!! I almost want to reach into my screen and grab it!! I reckon a wool jersey version would be lovely and probably more wearable - maybe with long slinky sleeves?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts